What is a Futureland?
Futureland is the name of a set of creative tools that make it easier for a human to learn anything.
Futureland is currently in
alpha state, which means this is its first draft. Still, it is a very effective of way of learning a new skill. Today, Futureland exists as a community of creative self learners, a profile to document the progress of your project and a file management system to store your files in an organized way. Technologically, this draft of Futureland exists as a Slack integration with surrounding web tools.
What is a Futureland Project?
Starting a Futureland Project means selecting a discipline and then creating something within that discipline for 365 consecutive days. People use Futureland Projects as a way to learn new skills and further develop their existing ones.
Humans from all over the world are using Futureland to explore disciplines like code, game development, digital art, music, design, machine learning, Japanese language, poetry, architecture, 3D modelling, writing, sound design, filmmaking, electronics, generative art, pixel art, Yoga and on..
When you create a project on Futureland, you get access to a profile that displays all of your outputs, a global community of creative self learners who are also doing Futureland Projects and a file management system that keeps your files stored in an elegant way that you can download whenever you want.
This is the framework of a Futureland Project:
- Select a skill that you want to learn and use Futureland to create something within it for 365 consecutive days.
- You must complete an output for each day and publish it to Futureland before sleeping for the day.
- It is ok to share mediocre work. Actually this is encouraged as it begins to change your psychological relationship with your work. Making mediocre things is a very important part of learning anything new.
How do I start a Futureland Project?
To start a Futureland Project, you will need access to Futureland: Alpha. Once you have access, set your profile picture on Slack and simply type
/new, then follow Otis' prompts to set up your project.
How do I stick to and complete a Futureland Project?
Futureland Projects aren't easy, but they also aren't impossible. These are a few things to remember that will help you complete the task.
- It's OK to make mediocre things. Actually this is encouraged in Futureland as it begins to change your psychological relationship with your work. Making mediocre things is a very important part of learning anything new.
- When you are trying to figure out how much time you might need to create something every day, think about the minimum and not the maximum. For example, if you want to learn how to code in Python, you only need enough time to write:
print("Super tired and emotional tonight. But I'm happy I'm still doing something")
Or let's say you want to learn how to design interfaces, you only need enough time to draw a few squares on a napkin and take a photo. Focusing on the minimum amount of time you need is important because on days when things come up, you know you can create something in a few minutes. On days when you have more time, you'll just use it.
- Start right now. If you start later, you'll only wish you started sooner.
What do I do if I'm traveling?
Find a way to keep creating and publishing to Futureland even if that means experimenting with new mobile tools. One of the benefits of pushing yourself to create no matter what is that you learn about the other technologies and ways of creating that exist for you.
If you are going to a place on Earth where you can create but there is no way that you can publish, then notify a moderator and a plan will be arranged.
Which discipline should I focus on?
It's important to remember that completing a Futureland Project is transformative regardless of the discipline you select. There's tremendous personal gain in training your mind to decide to do something difficult and then seeing it through.
That being said here's two tips:
- There's a lot of value in learning something new - in becoming a beginner again. If you are already really proficient in a discipline, avoid selecting it for your Futureland Project.
- If nothing comes to mind, select a skill that will transform your career potential. If you edit videos then learn animation or motion graphics. If you write code then learn how to design interfaces. If you express yourself through writing then learn how to draw.
What happens if I miss a day?
The purpose of a Futureland project is to create something for 365 consecutive days. Currently there are no hardcoded penalities for missing a day - this will change soon. There have been cases where projects have been manually reviewed and reset back to zero.
If your Futureland Project is reset, your existing outputs will be archived and you can download all of your files whenever you want.
Does studying count as an output to my Futureland Project?
No, it does not. You must create something every day in the discipline you select. Even if you only have a few minutes, make whatever you can and publish it to Futureland.
Why is Futureland built on Slack?
Building on Slack was a decision that was made to realize the Alpha version of Futureland. Slack was selected because of the wide ranging types of people that already use it.
Over time if Futureland continues to be useful, the hope is to make a stand alone tool that could be used by people all over the world.
Also, thank you to Slack. Without the work of their team, Futureland would not have been able to get to this point.
I messed up something with my post, what do I do?
You can tell Otis to delete your latest entry by typing
/delete in Slack. An important thing to keep in mind is that every time you type this command, Otis will delete whatever your latest entry is. So make sure you really want to delete before typing this command.
What is the long term vision of Futureland?
It is important for me to stay humble and accept whatever version or scale of Futureland ends up being most useful to others. But, if you'd like to imagine a more grandiose future, then Futureland aspires to make it easier for anyone in the world to learn any thing.
How can I work on Futureland with internetVin?
I am currently creating Futureland entirely by myself. In terms of collaborating, I am most interested in working with iOS developers. I prefer to work with people who understand and believe in the long term vision of Futureland.
How can I invest in Futureland?
I am open to the idea of working with angel investors, but they would need to be individuals who understand and believe in the vision of Futureland and are extremely open to how it may be realized.
If you would like to discuss, email works.
How can I support Futureland?
I'm working on this. For now, request access and start your own project.